Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lists

by Vickie

Right now, our lives seem tied to lists and schedules. Here are a few of them.

List of shots we need:


DT and Rabies 1..........Rabies?!  I'm picturing roving packs of wild dogs...with sharp, poisonous teeth
MMR and Polio
Rabies 2 and Hepatitis A.......Rabies 2?   Maybe crazed, rabid squirrels - with sharp, poisonous teeth AND claws
Typhoid and Meningitis
Rabies 3 and Hepatitis B1....
( Rabies 3? I remember my dad told me that Rabies shots involve long needles -- maybe 10 or 12 of them -- given in the stomach area. Granted, he was trying to keep my from approaching wild animals when I was a kid and we lived in the country -- but still. I'm not happy about these Rabies shots.)
Hepatitis B2
Influenza

Lists of things we must NOT do:


Wear flip-flops, low cut tops or tank tops, shorts, mini-skirts
Dress like a tourist....(Hmmmm )
Skip our daily shower
Forget to wear deodorant
(Women only -- in bold print)...allow underarm hair to grow
(Men only) -- have long hair
Have long or dirty fingernails or toenails
Have body piercings or tattoos
Have overnight visitors (Hmmmm)

So, sounds like the cultural divide between us and the other Peace Corps Volunteers may be greater than that between us and the Dominicans.

List of things I think I'm going to miss

Unlimited access to Facebook, Netflix, and Google
Unlimited access to electricity
Cherokee Park

The amazing variety of food within walking distance - especially Pad Thai, Falafals, Sushi, Fish and Chips, Pizza, Goat Cheese Salads, Jack Fry's hamburgers, El Mundo's 3 Bean Crispy Tacos - and their Margaritas, Korean Rice Bowl, Bagels, Smoothies, Peanut Butter, and Popcorn

My car
My shoes
Being retired (!) - 2 glorious months of lassitude
Hot water (or maybe just running water?)
My bathroom (the one that a year ago looked so woefully inadequate)
Fall and Spring
My iPhone
My privacy
Wine
Unlimited access to my friends and family

List of things I absolutely won't miss - probably


2012 election news
All news
The 4 AM drunks (we live right behind Molly Malone's)
The 4 AM sirens (must be a hospital nearby for the 4 AM drunks)
Clanging radiator pipes
The cellar -- but that's another story
Winter and Summer

List of things I'm looking forward to


The weather
The natural beauty of the DR
Leaning to dance the meringue
Learning to speak Spanish fluently
New challenges, new ideas, new perspectives
The people of the DR

Schedule for the First 3 Weeks 


8-10  PC Dominican Republic Sector Development Projects and APCD presentations (not sure what this means)
10:15 - 12:00 Spanish (YEA)
12:00 Lunch (YEA)
1:15 - 3:15 Spanish (YEA)
3:30 - 5:00 Regions of the DR (YEA)

This sounds like fun!

Schedule for the Next 5 Weeks


8-12 Teacher Training Workshops/interactive teaching methodologies  (Sounds like work)
12-2 Lunch with host family (YEA)
2-6 Spanish (YEA)
Evenings - -- ICT (Information, Communication, and Technology) Youth Group (YEA?)

I'm ready to go! As soon as I get everything crossed off my "To Do" list.











2 comments:

  1. Geesh, all of those foods you listed that you are going to miss, are all favorites of mine, so I shall continue to indulge and will let you know how yummy it was, how is that?
    Loved the list of reminders of the do and don'ts;)
    Sounds like your lives are certainly about to change and for 2 years...what an incredible journey you are about to take... I do not know if I could do it, or not...it is something that has to burn in the heart of those who decide to go. I have taken 4 one week long mission journeys, that was very wonderful! 2 years seems like a very long time.
    Looking forward to tracking you and Vickie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what your To Do List will look like 6 months from now???? No telling!

    ReplyDelete