Monday, May 21, 2012

Haitians



By Vickie

Jim was stuck in the capital undergoing some tests, but I decided to head back to our site on my own on Saturday and then head out for Kreyòl camp on Monday morning. 

Before leaving for camp, I was completely oblivious to who might or might not be Haitian. The day before I left, a girl about high school age came to stay with Katy. Her name is Yanuli, she’s Haitian, and she normally lives with and works for Katy’s mom.  Katy’s mom left for a week in the capital, probably because that’s where she’s registered to vote, and in the Dominican Republic, you have to vote where you registered – forever. That’s why all Peace Corps volunteers are in “Stand Fast" mode. That means don’t get on the roads for any reason. Lots of extra traffic because of the voting laws and tempers are high.

So Yanuli is here. Her mom is in Haiti and Yanuli says she coming here soon. Yanuli says there are many, many Haitians here and that some do not speak Spanish at all. I know this is true, because yesterday Jim and I walked up the dirt road beside our house – straight up the side of the mountain for about a quarter of mile to where it levels out. The view of the sea is beautiful and unobstructed from up there. 

And there's a nice breeze.
There is a small canal filled with water that runs from here all the way to Pedernales, a town about 2 hours from here on the Haitian border. It was built by the government so the farmers can irrigate their crops. Above the canal the trees have been somewhat cleared and there are crops growing: corn, plantanos, mangos, and probably lots of other things we couldn’t see.







We did run into 5 people up there, all carrying sacks of fruit or viveres (white, bland food like potatoes, bananas, etc.)  As usual, we said, “Buenos días,” to everyone we met. Normally, we get a big smile and a return, “Buenos días. ¿Como estan?”  But this time, we got only nervous smiles.

 Finally, I decided to try Kreyòl. “Bon swa,” I said to an older man carrying a basket of fish. Big, big smile, a wave, and a “Bon swa,” in return.  Yes, there are many Haitians in my community. Now I notice the men and women sitting beside the main road selling fruits and viveres grown up on the mountain.  I listen carefully and hear Kreyòl.  So, I’ll keep studying and maybe Yanuli will help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment