Saturday, April 7, 2012

Good bye!

By Jim Wheatley
April 7, 2012


     She is seven, almost eight, and she can read. Not bad considering what I’ve seen in some of the schools here. But  this pueblo has better schools than most. She lives in the house across the street from where I’m staying, a tin shack, pitiful really. I’ve been inside. There are three tiny rooms.  I’m not sure how many people live there, 8 to 12, three generations. They do the cooking outside on some rocks.
     The Peace Corps wanted me to catch a couple of kids from the street and test their reading levels. So that is what I’m doing here. And, I notice she smells.  I think how terrible that is and I judge her mother.
     Her mother says “good bye” to me every day. She really means hello but good bye is the only English she knows.
     Later I see mom walking down the street carrying two five gallon buckets of water. And , later I see her again, and then again. I realize then that there is no water in the house and every drop has to be carried home from god knows where, for all those people, to cook, to clean, wash clothes, and flush the toilet. Daily baths are an extravagance. It is Semana Santa (Easter Week) and all of the relatives will be stopping by later and mom is cooking on the rocks. The kid will have her bath, mom is just too busy right now and probably needs to walk back to the water with the buckets again.
She sees me watching from across the street. She waves. “Good bye” she says.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter to you all~

    It must be very difficult watching scenes like this unfold and yet...you would not be able to do so much to help one family and then not all of the others. Thus, you have to accept how things are for them, hard as it is... help when and where you can and then keep them, this existence in your memory bank, becoming even more thankful for your personal blessings than you already were before you met them. And then, you say hello and good-bye once again~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and we waste so much water and take it so for granted back in the good ole USA!

    ReplyDelete