Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why the Cock Crows


by Vickie

So, roosters. 

They are beautiful in the sun.  The one beside the house has feathers that are a shimmering mix of copper, jade, gold, and ruby hues. He resembles, if for one moment he stands still, the masterwork of an artist. He stands, not in the austere space of a Paris museum, but surrounded by trash and dirty water and naked children.




The story goes that roosters crow at dawn. This, I can verify, is not true. As far as I can tell, every rooster in the Dominican Republic begins crowing at 4:15 and stops when the sun comes up, about 2 hours later. The sound – and I mean the sound of a rooster who sleeps about 12 inches from your  bed on the other side of a wall that has a window covered by only iron bars – my bedfellow almost – the sound is like a bolt of lightning that shoots through your head, into your heart, and out through your stomach.

I am almost always asleep when he begins and you’d think my vital organs would remember and not contract in shock each and every time. But they don’t remember and I never go back to sleep so I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on the cock’s crow.

First, they’re all a little different. The smaller ones are high-pitched and not so loud and scary. The big ones have powerful, terrifying crows – and my bedfellow is a whopper. Yes, the sound is terrifying – because he sounds as if he is crying out in abject terror while in the jaws of one of the hounds of the Baskervilles. I am convinced that the cock’s crow is the result of fiendish nightmares coupled with mass hysteria.

A cry escapes….
ERRRRR….

The hound squeezes his jaw tighter and there is a pause – you can almost hear the gasp for breath…then..

Eeeerrrr…..eeeerrrrr   

a  pause  - then a small, puny
errrr

a longer pause, a deep breath and the final plea flung out to his rooster god for salvation
errrrrrrr000000000000000000000

There is no cock-a-doodle-do about it.

His fellow roosters hear him, near and far, and call out in sympathy and terror, imagining themselves in the jaws of the hungry dogs – mass hysteria throughout the pueblo for a couple of minutes. Then, I guess they fall back to sleep until another wakes in terror and screams into the night.

 ERRRRR….
Eeeerrrr…..eeeerrrrr   
Errrr
errrrrrrr000000000000000000000

There are variations in the pattern. I hear one old guy every night. I imagine that he is quite old because he only has three ERRRRRR’S left in him, and they all sound a little shaky.

ERRR
Long pause
Errr…gasping for breath
Er..r…r.r.r.er

I admit that there are some roosters who don’t actually sound terrified – they actually sound like they’re crowing just for the pure joy of it. I imagine these are the youngest ones – who haven’t been around long enough to be haunted by the terrors that surround them in the night and the fragility of their lives.








10 comments:

  1. I sure hope your body eventually realizes this is routine stuff and can ignore it...good luck! He sure is beautiful,though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karen -- still waking up at 4 -- but generally roll over and sleep until about 6 when suddenly everything get quiet!

      Delete
  2. Eddie-Sue McDowellApril 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

    My family had chickens and a rooster in Ojai. One would begin crowing around 3AM and it insituted crows up and down the valley. The only (and only one) good thing about a rooster is that when you've had it you can wring it's neck and make a stew with it. It's a bit of revenge but it feels so very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm not sure I've got it in me to wring a neck -- but I can take vicarious pleasure as I watch the neighbors do it.

      Delete
  3. I would be sizzling b/c 4:15AM is 5 mins before my alarm goes off now. Mother Nature has her 'foul' reasoning, I'm sure! But a 4:20AM alarm is ANYthing but Natural.

    I agree with Karen. It should become routine soon enough and you might acutally miss it back in captivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get up a 4:20 to exercise I bet! Jim and I used to do that and maybe we'll get back to it once we finally settle in here and establish a routine. Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing summer -- any plans?

      Delete
  4. Wow Vickie, you are an amazing writer! So many parallels to life-gotta love those young roosters who crow and remind us of a more innocent time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel! I had fun with this post -- still waking up at 4 with the crazy cocks -- but I'll tell you the best time of day around here is between 5 and 7 in the morning and the same at night -- barely light and still just a teeny bit cool.

      Delete
  5. Yes rooster hackles are nice very good for making flies, esp the royal coachman. I have a number of them in several colors !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the roosters look like someone has been plucking them for trout fishing flies -- or like they've been in a cockfight. You never know.

      Delete